cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help recovering username/password on an 831 router

HappyBeaver
Level 1
Level 1

I can't log into my router because I forgot my username and password. I'm using Telnet in Windows Vista. I hit the "o" key then I typ in the IP address. It ask for my username then password but I forgot it. Resetting the router and hitting the break key isn't going to work because I can't get into the router at all. Is there some other way I can reset my username and password.

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In order to recover your password, you have to be physical at the router and use a console cable to do the password recovery.  It can not be done using telnet.

HTH

Reza

Re-read my post, I stated I was using telnet.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I can't log into my router because I forgot my username and password.
I'm using Telnet in Windows Vista. I hit the "o" key then I typ in the
IP address. It ask for my username then password but I forgot it.
Resetting the router and hitting the break key isn't going to work
because I can't get into the router at all. Is there some other way I
can reset my username and password.

Check out the below link for password recovery in cisco 800 series:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_password_recovery09186a00800942bc.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

None of that is going to work because I can't get into the router at all. To be able to do everything in that link I would have to have the router prompt in telnet. To get that prompt I would have to enter my username and password in telnet which I can't because I forgot both of them.

You do "not" use telnet to do a password recovery.  You use a terminal emulator like Tera Term  set at 9600,8,n,1  to  get into the "console" port on the router to do the password recovery , it has nothing to do with telnetting into the box to  recover the password... Please follow the directions in Ganesh's link , thats the only way you are going to recover the password .

Thanks for your help. I forgot that Telnet doesn't use the console port. I ended up using PuTTy and I found my username and password. Haven't had to use a terminal emulation program in a long time so it just slipped my mind. Again thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card