Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Need help selecting a router and features

Here's the criteria:

I've got one circuit from Comcast 100 down/20 up. On this circuit I've got about a dozen ipsec site-to-site vpn's.

For my 2nd WAN circuit Google fiber is due to be installed with a 1gb down/1gb up circuit by the end of jan. I'd like to be able to take full advantage of the gigabit speed.

I'd also like to be able have some flexibility to add cards/features.

What would be the best router for the above scenario? Its very confusing when you are first learning because of all the different bundles & feature adds.

2 of the VPN endpoints are friends/relatives. Would you recommend getting an older Cisco off of ebay to replace their consumer grade routers? If so what model. (no circuits at the far end are better than the 100/20 Comcast.

Why am I considering used cisco's for friends/relatives. I've completed my CCNA and will do the CCNP 1st qtr next year. Having a real world wan infrastructure to play/work with has always been invaluable to learn.

Thanks for your advice/recommendations.

• LAN Switching and Routing
1 REPLY
Super Bronze

Re: Need help selecting a router and features

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

For 100/20, you'll probably want a 29xx.  The 2921 is recommended for 50 Mbps (duplex) and the 2951 for 75 Mbps (duplex).

For gig, you'll want either a 4451-X or an entry model ASR 1K.  Depending on your feature needs, you might look at L3 switches, espeically the MetroE variants.

Views
Helpful
Replies