cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Help Setting up my Cisco 1812 Router

Roshan8484
Level 1
Level 1

I just purchased a cisco 1812 Router and I am having difficulty setting it up. I have all of the wires connected correctly, but my router is not getting internet connection. Is there a specific configuration I need to allow my router to access the internet and how to do I setup SDM. Please help.

5 Replies 5

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

Can you post the routers configuration so we can see how it is configured and advise from there?

Best Regards & Best wishes for 2008 and beyond,

Michael

Roshan

Michael's suggestion that you post the configuration is a good starting place and if we have that information we would be better able to help identify any problems. But since your original question asked if there were any particular things that you should be careful to configure let me point out some of the more common issues:

- make sure that you have the correct IP address and subnet mask as assigned by the provider.

- make sure that you have a valid default route pointing to the provider.

- since you will probably be using private address space on your LAN, be sure that you have configured Network Address Translation to translate your private addresses into the public address assigned by the provider.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Guys thanks for the quick responses.

I was able to get SDM working, and it shows my FE1 setup as DHCP. My VLAN1 is setup as 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0. I ran a test connection on FE1 using SDM and it stated the following,DNS configuration check has failed. No DNS Lookup has been configured. Configure the command 'ip domain-lookup' in the config mode on the router.

Any Suggestions. I am totaling confused as I have never setup a cisco router. I am use to using netgear and lnksys routers that are just plug and play and that require minimal configuration.

If someone could describe how the flow works on a cisco router that may help clear up a few things (e.g internet connection comes from the DSL model to FE1 etc...)

Thanks for the help again

Hi There

The SDM information messages is telling you you have to configure a DNS server.

Do you know the IP address of your ISP's DNS server??

If so, then in global configuration more, type

"ip domain-lookup xx.xx.xx.xx", where xx.xx.xx.xx is the IP address of yoru ISP's DNS server.

The ISP DNS information might be availabel on the Netgear/Linksys router if you plug in the link from your ISP. Failing that try your ISP's Webpage or give them a call.

Best Regards,

Michael

Guys I am having trouble setting this thing up.

Can someone walk me through a SDM setup with the Cisco 1812 router. I went ahead and reset the router configuration thus we can start from fresh on SDM Express Setup.

My SBC DSL Modem is connected to the FE1 port

and my computer is connected to the Port 2 on the router via cat 5 cable.

Please help I would like to get this thing setup as it has fustrated me.

Thanks all

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: