Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with ordering 3850s

Jason Flory
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I just got approval to upgrade to 3850s in our data center and corporate office. My plan is to have 2 stacks, 1 for data center and one for user environment. I want to use 10 GB copper to link the 2 stacks.

Questions:

1. The distance between stacks is only a few feet. Which solution is less expensive 10 GB copper or 10 GB fiber modules?
  2. What are the correct part numbers for 10 GB copper? Like the 3750x i believe you need to get the modules that will actually receive the SFPs and the SFPs (2 parts) ....right?
    1. My research is telling me i have to get the module that will support SFP+ is this correct? Is this part number correct C3850-NM-4-10G ?
    2. What is the part number for the SFP module that will give us 10 GB copper?
  3. I was under the impression that IP Based image will give you Policy based routing but my reading says that PBR is only on IP services. Is this correct?
  4. It says that IP based image will support OSPF for routed access opposed to the IP services decription says just OSPF. What does OSPF for routed access mean? What are the differences with these images in terms of routing protocols?
  5. Will Netflow be fully supported in IP Based images? Or is it slightly dumbed down version?

As always thanks for everyones assistance

Jason

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Remember the C3850-NM-4-10G module is supported on the 48-port models only.

If you want to inter-connect both stacks with copper, you need CX1 (version 02 or higher).

I did see that it is only supported with 48 port models.

Does the C3850-NM-4-10G provide the actual connectivity or is it like fiber modules on 3750x where you have to buy slots and then buy the actual fiber module?

A rep had sent over the following part numbers for 10 GB connectivy

SFP-H10GB-CU1M and C3850-NM-4-10G is that all i need?

Also can you answer any of the other questions about IOS platforms?

Does the C3850-NM-4-10G provide the actual connectivity or is it like fiber modules on 3750x where you have to buy slots and then buy the actual fiber module?

Yes.  This is exactly what it is.

SFP-H10GB-CU1M and C3850-NM-4-10G is that all i need?

This is supported and you need to run IOS XE 3.2.0SE.

Regarding the IOS questions, I recommend you visit the Feature Navigator.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card