cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help with QoS

The.Sorrow
Level 1
Level 1

I currently host a Teamspeak server for gaming chat and such. I also have a FreeBSD-based NAS that hosts torrents and seeds/downloads data. Lately the Teamspeak server has been getting horrible latency due to the torrents i host. Is there a way i can set up a form of QOS to set the importance of Teamspeak traffic or traffic from a specific subnet as higher priority than my torrent traffic?

Ive also uploaded a topology Map for Reference

8 Replies 8

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

You can only use QoS if its between two of your sites (MPLS or leased lines) in other words if you have control on the path that the packets take to reach the other end.You can configure the router on your end to mark the packets and tell the ISP and the other end router to respect those markings.

But in your case since the the traffic is going to the internet cloud even if you mark the packets on your side they will lose the markings once they cross your PE router.You can't prioritize the traffic that goes thorugh the public internet cloud.

If you were asking about LAN QoS to prioritize the packets inside your LAN you can do that.

Siddhartha

So i cant do any form of QoS thats similar to LAN Voice traffic where say TCP is a lower priority over an interface than UDP?

You can prioritize the traffic inside your LAN (like VOIP) but all the packets will be trated same once they leave your router.Below is a good document that explains the LAN QoS

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_tech_note09186a0080883f9e.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IA4iOrn2eiU

Siddhartha

That is exactly what i want to do. My connection to the internet is just peachy, so when i turn on the torrents im seeding ping times on my TSSrv go from ~70 to ~250. My LAN internet speeds also drop heavily. I basically want the NAS to be the lowest priority on the outbound connection que (If that makes any sense). Ill also look at your links. It looks like they will help.

is your connection form 3560 to router 2621 a Layer 3 connection? if yes then write a MQC policy for it.

access-list 5 permit host 10.10.2.1 (to define your traffic, could be an extended ACL to be more specific)

class-map NAS

match ip add 5

policy-map RATE_LIMIT

class NAS

police rate ...X.. kbps exceed-action drop

class class-default

fair-queue

int gi0/1

service-policy out RATE_LIMIT

hope that helpes.

you can use this link to further educate urself:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swqos.html#wp1703072

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush,

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

hi,

you can shape or police your output queue (bandwidth) from CAT-3560 towards your R-2621XM and set that the traffic from NAS Srv only gets a certain amount of outgoing bandwidth (egress QoS on C3560). This way you force the Switch to drop or shape the excess traffic from NAS before it leaves your network towards the router, isp and so on.

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

I know i can limit bandwidth statically but can i dynamically limit bandwidth?

Hi Sorrow,

sorry i was away for a couple of days. look, you can not dynamically limit bandwidth, instead you can dynamically manage you traffic queues (queue length), therefor traffic flows from different queue numbers will drop (random) in case of congestion and also can set a minimum guaranteed bandwidth along with it at the same time!

I suggest you read about Modular QoS (MQC) and utilizing WRED (random early detection) to implement on your egress switchport. for that to work you have to classify your traffic (class-map) and write a policy-map, qos policy.

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card