Helpful
Replies

Need help with topology issues

JohnM.Doe
Level 1
Level 1

Who helps with my topology-problem?

i have the following situation which is puzzling me a lot:

the layer 2switches are cisco sg200-8p and located on floor 1 and 2. the layer 3 switch is an cisco sg 300-28p and located on floor 3 and is supposed to do the routing between the vlans/subnets.

The PCs are in Vlan20 and attached to the switch of an voip-phone which is supposed to be in vlan 30. theres a gateway for the internet-traffic(192.168.2.1) and a gateway for the voip-traffic (192.168.3.251). Telephone-System is on 192.168.3.250.

I set up an voip-vlan(vlan30) and am aware, that the telephone is supposed to reach the traffic coming from the PCs through and leave it untagged.

also should there be trunks configurated between the switches. the intervlan-routing should be happening on the L3 switch and route the traffic to the right gateways. But after all i have no clue how to set this up on my switches. anyway, i think this is a total standard topology and for many people here everyday business. maybe anyone could give me a brief checklist containing the steps to take to get this job done.

thanks in advance.

topology.png

2 Replies 2

cpembleton
Level 4
Level 4

Yes, you'll need to trunk s1 and s2 to s3. Without a trunk not all the vlans would be able to reach the router for ther vlan. And other hosts in the same vlan attached to s1 and s2 wouldnt be able to talk.

Hth

Chad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

thank cpembleton for your quick answer.

but i am still unsure how to set up the ports at the layer 2 switches the phones are connected to. are they suppossed to be general ports or access ports or even trunk ports(i don't think so)? how do i get the inter vlan routing to work? and do i just configure default gateways on the end nodes (192.168.2.1 for PCs and 192.168.3.251 for Voip)?

i'm pretty confused even though i have passed nearly all ccna-tests and i'm reading the ******* manual...

thanks & happy easter

Update:

I think i got the port/vlan Configurations right now. pinging is possible within the same subnet (PC to PC in 192.168.2.0/24) but i dont know how to set up the inter vlan routing right. i configured a port with an ip address of 192.168.3.10 on the layer3 switch. and i have the local routes of 192.168.2.0/24 and 192.168.3.0/24 in my routing table. but i can't see a way to route from one subnet to another or assign a subnet to vlan... And i'm not quite sure how to solve the issue with the standard gateways...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card