cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need suggestion to be a networking professional.

chandra_rc16
Level 4
Level 4

Need suggestion to be a networking professional.

I completed B.sc(comp sc) in June 2012 since then i'm

working in Network operation center i'm fond of networking so

i decided to stop further studies like MCA

(Master of Computer Applications), M.Sc (computers).

And i'm concentrating only on certifications.

My plan is to go like this: ccna-->ccnp--->ccie

So if i continue to do masters i cannot conentrate

on networking because masters will be including

all the works like programming, server admin,

security, networking and other stuff which i'm

not interested.

My question is will stopping further studies like

master effect my career ?

Need sugestions and advices.

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu
3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are you based in the UK?

It depends on what interests you most in my experience but also bear in mind that most jobs tend to involve multiple systems.

I am a Network Engineer and I love networking but I have realised that some jobs want someone who has skills in other areas such server administration so its handy to learn these skills if you have the time. If you want to be a network enginner and you are limited for learning time then my advice would be to concentrate on the Cisco certification track first.

On the job experience is invaluable and if you are already working in a NOC then getting your CCNP in routing a switching will give you a very good starting base for a career in networking. I have met several paper CCNP's with little hands on experience so bear this in mind.

View solution in original post

I'm going to tell you a story about my carrer, and maybe that will help you out.

For starters, to be successful in this field, you need to love networking. If you do it, just for a job, you're not going to be that good, and will end up making a lot of mistakes. This field requires a lot of knowledge and logical thinking.

I've been wanting to get into networking since I was a little kid. This is a true story, both my parents were in the IT field, although nothing like networking. I started playing with computers, when my dad bought a brand new 386SX with Windows 3.1. Around middle school, volunteered at a local free ISP, just to get experience, and one year for spring break, I did an internship with some network engineers for the week. Also, spent a week at a local ISP, for carrer week in Highschool.

I went to a community college, working on my A+ and Network+, and went to work doing helpdesk/desktop support. Spent numerous years doing that, as well as studying my ass off every day, and doing anything I could to learn networking, etc etc.

I got my CCNA, CCNP, and MCITP Enterprise Administrator, and various other certifications. I kept studying no matter what was going on in my life. Now, I work for one of the best places in town, if not the best, to work for, and love my job to death. I'm currently working on my CCIE, and waiting for v5 to come out, so I can take the written.

Long story short, just keep working hard at it, love what you're doing, and dont ever let anyone tell you, you're not going to be good at it. If your boss says "you're not going to go very far", just laugh, and keep studying.

THat's the short version btw, doesn't include going to other cities to gain experience etc etc..

Also, make contacts in your field, and try not to piss anyone off, this field is very small, no matter what city you live in.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I thought this a vast field. How it could be very small ? I didn't got it .

Well it is, but especially within a single Metro Area, it can be surprising how people may have heard of you.

Speaking of stories, I'm in my 36th year working in IT.  A few things, within industry, have changed over that time.  When I was a kid, we had something called paper and pencil for computing .  When I started working, punched cards and mag tapes were high-tech.  My first personal computer, years before there was an IBM PC, only cost me a third of my annual salary.  (In hind sight, I think I would have preferred a new car - laugh.)

I've seen technologies and vendors come and go.  Also back when I started, being an "expert" with IBM mainframes was "the thing", but I don't see much demand for that anymore, regardless of how much you like doing it.

What employers often want most of all, is "experience" doing what they currently need.  Of course that's creates the "catch-22", we want you with experience, but we won't hire you unless you have experience.

Where degrees help is opening doors or having something another candidate doesn't have.  Obtaining a masters, doesn't preclude you from working in networking or becoming a CCIE, but not having such a degree can make it harder to move into something else, becuase you want to or need to.

My advise still is, if you can obtain a masters, do so, while you're still young.  However, if you really want to pursue networking now, and work in it for the next 20 to 40 years, assuming it still exists (as we know it today), that's fine too.  Just understand the pros and cons.

11 Replies 11

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are you based in the UK?

It depends on what interests you most in my experience but also bear in mind that most jobs tend to involve multiple systems.

I am a Network Engineer and I love networking but I have realised that some jobs want someone who has skills in other areas such server administration so its handy to learn these skills if you have the time. If you want to be a network enginner and you are limited for learning time then my advice would be to concentrate on the Cisco certification track first.

On the job experience is invaluable and if you are already working in a NOC then getting your CCNP in routing a switching will give you a very good starting base for a career in networking. I have met several paper CCNP's with little hands on experience so bear this in mind.

Hi,

I have met several paper CCNP's with little hands on experience so bear this in mind. 

And they had a networking job ?

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

They did indeed.

Hi,

And they were incompetent ?  How did they pass the interview stage if they were so bad ?

Regards

Alain

They were not incompetent, they just didn't have a lot of real world experience. Passing the exams is one thing but managing a real network is quite another. Whilst I do agree that the certifications are required, nothing beats experience.

Hi,

ok so if they were not incompetent then they will gain the experience and it won't be a problem as they won't be "paper CCNPs" anymore, ain't it ?

Sure nothing beats experience but the question is which experience !

Regards

Alain

Hi Dev

I'm from India and i work here in a NOC team but the thing is we are just monitoring resources that's it. We don't have

access to configure or else troubleshoot any devices. But i'm very much fond of networking.

So my question is :

If you are the employer and two guys came to the interview

1st guy. With 3yrs experience as a NOC technician + CCNP certified but just with Bachelor degree in computers

2guy. With Master degree in computers + 1year experience + ccna certified

Who is the most commonly selected guy ?

I'm asking this question just for my sake and not anything else...:)

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

My question is will stopping further studies like

master effect my career ?

Sure it does.  If you focus on certifications, and just networking, you'll limiting your possible career paths, especially management.  If you want to work as a network engineer until you retire, then focusing on gaining certificates and practical experience is fine, but if you can do it while you're young, I would suggest obtaining a masters.

I'm going to tell you a story about my carrer, and maybe that will help you out.

For starters, to be successful in this field, you need to love networking. If you do it, just for a job, you're not going to be that good, and will end up making a lot of mistakes. This field requires a lot of knowledge and logical thinking.

I've been wanting to get into networking since I was a little kid. This is a true story, both my parents were in the IT field, although nothing like networking. I started playing with computers, when my dad bought a brand new 386SX with Windows 3.1. Around middle school, volunteered at a local free ISP, just to get experience, and one year for spring break, I did an internship with some network engineers for the week. Also, spent a week at a local ISP, for carrer week in Highschool.

I went to a community college, working on my A+ and Network+, and went to work doing helpdesk/desktop support. Spent numerous years doing that, as well as studying my ass off every day, and doing anything I could to learn networking, etc etc.

I got my CCNA, CCNP, and MCITP Enterprise Administrator, and various other certifications. I kept studying no matter what was going on in my life. Now, I work for one of the best places in town, if not the best, to work for, and love my job to death. I'm currently working on my CCIE, and waiting for v5 to come out, so I can take the written.

Long story short, just keep working hard at it, love what you're doing, and dont ever let anyone tell you, you're not going to be good at it. If your boss says "you're not going to go very far", just laugh, and keep studying.

THat's the short version btw, doesn't include going to other cities to gain experience etc etc..

Also, make contacts in your field, and try not to piss anyone off, this field is very small, no matter what city you live in.

Thanks john. For sharing your experience with us.

------------------------------

Also, make contacts in your field, and try not to **** anyone off, this field is very small, no matter what city you live in.--------------------------

Regards,

Chandu

Regards, Chandu

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well it is, but especially within a single Metro Area, it can be surprising how people may have heard of you.

Speaking of stories, I'm in my 36th year working in IT.  A few things, within industry, have changed over that time.  When I was a kid, we had something called paper and pencil for computing .  When I started working, punched cards and mag tapes were high-tech.  My first personal computer, years before there was an IBM PC, only cost me a third of my annual salary.  (In hind sight, I think I would have preferred a new car - laugh.)

I've seen technologies and vendors come and go.  Also back when I started, being an "expert" with IBM mainframes was "the thing", but I don't see much demand for that anymore, regardless of how much you like doing it.

What employers often want most of all, is "experience" doing what they currently need.  Of course that's creates the "catch-22", we want you with experience, but we won't hire you unless you have experience.

Where degrees help is opening doors or having something another candidate doesn't have.  Obtaining a masters, doesn't preclude you from working in networking or becoming a CCIE, but not having such a degree can make it harder to move into something else, becuase you want to or need to.

My advise still is, if you can obtain a masters, do so, while you're still young.  However, if you really want to pursue networking now, and work in it for the next 20 to 40 years, assuming it still exists (as we know it today), that's fine too.  Just understand the pros and cons.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: