Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to add new vlan/bridge group to 3560

ddecoursey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

complete novice here.... just established a new network to add to the mix where do I start ?

thanks

10 Replies 10

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

How do you want the new network to interact?

I currently have 3 internal networks

(using the 192.168.0.0 private reserved)

the 3560 routes between all 3 plus 2 other networks that are in the building which are not part of my windows domain

We used to have a Cisco tech do all the support on this box...but as time goes on the service call rate is just about unbearable so I am looking to learn to do some of this setup myself

OK - so what is it you want to do?

This new network needs to be reachable from all my other networks... excuse me if I use terms out of context...but in watching the cisco tech.....I think I need to establish a vlan(bridge gropup?) for this new network on the 3560..... so ,for instance, If I am sitting on one of the other existing networks I can talk t odevices on this new netowrk

OK - the terminology is correct, how does this new network connect to the 3560? via another switch or router?

All you really need to do is create a VLAN, create a SVI and assign the VLAN directly to the switchport the new network!

I have a HP Procureve switch that will be the unit that will be cables tothe 3560.... (trunk )then all me servers will connect to this switch...

what I am doing here is establishing a new network/vlan that will support Out of band (OOB) server management ( HP Integrated Lights out aka ILO)

capabilities all my HP servers have an "integrate mamangment processor" that has its own NIC

OK - then my previous post is relevant, apart from assigning the vlan to the switchport. Now you need to configure the switch that connects to the HP as a trunk. You also need to configure the HP side with all the relevant VLAN's and dot1q trunking.

HTH>

I have the web device assitant and the netowrk assistant and i kno there is a command line way...which is preferred (for novice)

I have nver used either of those - so cannot really comment. I always use the cli - you have all config options available to you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card