Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to get some understanding on L2 l L3 Vlan

Jacob Samuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Friends,

I have a doubt, if it seems very simple question plz forgive: )

I have a LAN setup with few cisco 3750 switches, where i am using VTP mode as Transparent.

What will happend If i create a L3 Vlan SVI interface with out creating L2 on the switch.

What is the difference in creating L3 Vlan with L2 and with out L2 ?

Please can any one take some effort to brief me about this..

Thanks a lot

Regards

Jacob

1 Reply 1

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Jacob,

When you create an SVI interface because is a virtual interface without any physical associations, at least you must have one L2 VLAN created for it with a connected device or host on a switchport to associate it with that newly created SVI interface in order for the SVI interface to be fully up and functional. A virtual SVI interface without any L2 vlan association in a switchport will just be an idle SVI interface, this would be the case when no L2 VLAN is associated with L3 interface the expected output of " show ip interface brief " for the SVI will be Up/Down.

What is the difference in creating L3 Vlan with L2 and with out L2 ?

Same as above answer, once you create L2 VLAN in vlan database and connect a device or host on a switchport that will bellong to L3 SVI network that you have created, the SVI interface will be a fully functional as well as fully routable and be able to route between any other L3 interfaces or SVI you have similarly created.

HTH

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: