Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need to hook a 3550-12G and 3560g together over 3 links

The 3550-12g is my core switch and I have 3 fibers going to my server switch which is the 3560g. Do I etherchannel both sides and if I used the command line do I set them to "desirable"? I have read the literature but wading through that can be overwhelming.

thanks

Gary

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gary

If you are connecting them with a L2 trunk or L2 access link then yes i would recommend using etherchannel to do this as the etherchannel is then seen as just one link by STP.

Cisco recommendation is to set both ends to desirable.

Cisco also recommend to use the "spanning-tree etherchannel guard       misconfig"  command in global config mode to prevent a misconfigured etherchannel creating an STP loop.

Jon

Jon

Thanks, I'm not a layer 2, layer 3 expert but this is just a standard plain vanilla setup in a school with no vlans etc. I will have to look up the spanning port.

Gary

While we're at it what is the difference between Lacp and Pgap? Which one should I be using?

thanks

gary

PaGP is Cisco proprietary and LACP is not. Personally if you are creating an etherchannel between 2 cisco switches i would use PaGP.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card