Views
Helpful
Replies

Need two new switches - replacing the dinasours

omarcouri
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to buy two 24-port managed switches that can be connected together via SFP and PoE is not needed. The reason for SFP is that these switches will be replacing existing (ancient) HP switches that are currently connected via SFP; routing a new CAT6 cable will prove very difficult.

Budget isn't for top spec equipment but they will be attached to a 1921 router distributing 100Mb/s fiber internet.

A couple of curiosities:

Do they need to have SFP capabilty already built-in or can SFP transceiver modules be added?

Also, what sort of switching capacity should I be looking for considering the internet speed (the switches will also be serving approximately 100 devices ranging from PC's to smart phones and tablets)?

Many thanks in advance for your advice! 

10 Replies 10

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I believe WS-C2960X-24PD-L should be sufficient for your environment.  If you do have the money probably 3560X's are pretty decent switches as well.

And you can add the transcievers for uplinks:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12995/index.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html#wp128965

Thanks for your reply Mohammad.

Unfortunatelly the switch you've recommended is quite high end and way above budget, especially if I need two of them

Any other ideas or recommendations?

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

A pair of 2960s are too expensive? This is a forum of professionals who use Cisco equipment. I don't think you're going to get any Netgear recommendations from these folks.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

There are various models of 2960's and the specific one Mohammad advised goes for around 2500 GBP which is quite a bit

I need to buy two 24-port managed switches that can be connected together via SFP and PoE is not needed.

You want Fastethernet or GigabitEthernet ports?

How many SFP ports?

I wouldn't bother with the 3750X or the 3560X.  The 3750X is being superseded by the 3850 while the 3560X will be superseded by a new switch which will be announced by the end of 2013.

Hi Leo,

Fastethernet is sufficient and I would only need 2 SPF ports.  I was also considering holding out a bit longer to see what Cisco will release but it doesn't look like it can wait that long.

I've just been looking at the 2960-24TC-S.  Would you recommend it?

I've just been looking at the 2960-24TC-S.  Would you recommend it?

2960-24TC has been superseded by the "plus" model.  So look into that.  Same price.  It's just "cheaper" for Cisco to build the "plus" model.

Fastethernet is sufficient and I would only need 2 SPF ports.

If FastEthernet is all you need, the yes a plain 2960 will be fine.  HOWEVER, I strongly recommend you reconsider your option to get the "-S" or LAN Lite model.  Instead, consider the LAN Base model.  I had, past tense, some LAN Lite in my network but we ripped them out very quickly.

In your case, look into the "2960-Plus 24TC-L" instead.

Thank you Leo. 

It seems the Plus model is a bit tricky to get in Eurpoe but while looking for it I came across the SG200-26 which looks very promising and is a relatively recent addition to the line-up.  Do you have any experience or knowledge on them?

You know you can always purchase from the distribution companies that refurbish the equipment and then resel it.  They also offer life time warranty as well.  Look into that as well you probably will get a pretty good deal on 2960's.

o you have any experience or knowledge on them?

Nope.  Not on SG200.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: