cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Need urgent help

Hi Guys,

I am providing layer 2 connectivity to a customers. (pure layer 2 VLANS).

On one of my switches, I noticed the following message from the LOGS:

1- Oct 29 11:57:59: %SPANTREE-2-RECV_PVID_ERR: Received BPDU with inconsistent peer

vlan id 1 on GigabitEthernet0/1 VLAN110.

Oct 29 11:57:59: %SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_PVID_LOCAL: Blocking GigabitEthernet0/1 on VL

AN0110. Inconsistent local vlan.

2- Oct 29 11:58:00: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet

0/1, changed state to up

Oct 29 12:01:13: %SPANTREE-2-UNBLOCK_CONSIST_PORT: Unblocking GigabitEthernet0/1

on VLAN0110. Port consistency restored.

this has resulted to block one of my Gi interfaces and caused other links disturbance. Please provide me with the meaning of this message as well as the recommended Solution.

Appreciate your feedback.

4 REPLIES

Re: Need urgent help

Silver

Hi ,

Can you tell the type of switch you are using.The meaning of the messages are as follows.

Explanation about the error messages you have:

%SPANTREE-2-RECV-PVID-ERR:

This message means that the listed interface received an SSTP BPDU that is tagged with a

VLAN ID that does not match the VLAN ID on which the BPDU was received. This occurs when

the native VLAN is not consistently configured on both ends of an 802.1Q trunk. [dec] is

the VLAN ID, the first [chars] is the port, and the second [chars] is the VLAN.

%SPANTREE-2-BLOCK-PVID-LOCAL:

This message means that the spanning-tree port associated with the listed spanning-tree

instance and interface will be held in the spanning-tree blocking state until the

per-VLAN-ID (PVID) inconsistency is resolved. The listed spanning-tree instance is that of

the native VLAN ID of the listed interface. The first [chars] is the interface, and the

second [chars] is the spanning-tree instance.

%SPANTREE-2-UNBLOCK-CONSIST-PORT:

This message means that the port VLAN ID or port type inconsistencies have been resolved

and that spanning tree will unblock the listed interface of the listed spanning-tree

instance as appropriate. The first [chars] is the interface, and the second [chars] is the

spanning-tree instance.

%LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN:

The data link level line protocol has changed state.

The above error message displays when you have switch in your network which is not supporting 12tp.

The above info helps you.

Thanks,

Satish

Hi Satish,

Thanks for the great info, I am using cisco 3560 series .

by the way, what does 12tp mean?

Thanks

Silver

Hi,

Can you Verify the configuration of the native VLAN ID is consistent on the interfaces on each end of the 802.1Q trunk connection. Once corrected, spanning tree automatically unblocks the interfaces as appropriate.

Still the problem exista please let me know so that i can help you in resolving it.

Thanks,

Satish

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content