Views
Helpful
Replies

Netflow anyalyser

sharma16031981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am facing problem configuring netflow anylyser.

When I open console of netflow analyser. It show name of router and interface name for only two router for other it show IP address and interfaces as IFINDEX 1or 2 like that. Though the configuration of all router is same.

If someone can help to check what is the issue or any command to check whether router support that or not. It says MIB unknown in the netflow GUI for all other router. What is MIB and how to configure that.

Thanks,

Hemant

3 Replies 3

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hemant

- Have you configured SNMP on your routers with a community string? Does it match the string you have configured on your netflow analyser?

- Is there a firewall between the netflow analyser and your routers?

If you issue the following command you can match the MIB value to the interface name:

R1#SH SNMP mib ifmib ifindex

FastEthernet0/0: Ifindex = 1 Null0:

Ifindex = 8 VoIP-Null0:

Ifindex = 7 Serial1/0:

Ifindex = 3 Voice Over IP Peer: 1:

Ifindex = 9 FastEthernet0/1:

Ifindex = 2 Serial1/1:

Ifindex = 4 Serial1/2:

Ifindex = 5 Serial1/3:

Ifindex = 6 EFXS 50/0/1:

Ifindex = 10 Voice Encapsulation (POTS) Peer: 20001: Ifindex = 11

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi All,

I am facing problem configuring netflow anylyser.

When I open console of netflow analyser. It show name of router and interface name for only two router for other it show IP address and interfaces as IFINDEX 1or 2 like that. Though the configuration of all router is same.

If someone can help to check what is the issue or any command to check whether router support that or not. It says MIB unknown in the netflow GUI for all other router. What is MIB and how to configure that.

Thanks,

Hemant

Hi Hemant,

A MIB by defination is a management information base (MIB) is a formal description of a set of network objects that can be managed using the Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP). The format of the MIB is defined as part of the SNMP.

As suggested check out the snmp stirng and see the below link for best practices for deployment of netflow analyser

http://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/nfa_best_practices.pdf

http://www.manageengine.com/products/netflow/help/cisco-netflow/cisco-ios-netflow.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

If helpful do rate the post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Hemant,

as noted by Sean the netflow analyzer has to perform an SNMP get for SNMP ifindex table in order to resolve ifindexes in interface names

The OID can be seen in

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.1.html

a single get receives as answer the list of all defined ifindexes

the OID is:

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable

more exactly you need

.iso.org.dod.internet.mgmt.mib-2.interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifDescr

For each router this SNMP query has to be done by the netflow analyzer

I would expect that you need to add IP addresses or router names in some txt config file in order to have these queries done on the netflow analyzer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card