Views
Helpful
Replies

Netflow Support on 3560/3750X platforms

robward
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm looking at implementing a new DMZ and wanted Netflow capability for security monitoring.

The architectural principles I have to adhere to dictate that the switches within the DMZ are layer 2 however to get Netflow I need a minimum of a 3560/3750X, Network Services module, IP Base IOS with ip routing and CEF enabled.

To do this and still keep the switch functioning as a layer 2 device the intention was not to configure SVI's or any static/dynamic routing protocols.

Will Netflow still work in that scenario?

Thanks for reading and any advice will be gratefully received!

Cheers

Rob

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ican confirm that this will work on layer2. My 3750x with the 3kx sm is completely flat and I'm exporting from it. Configuring the flow monitors can be a little tricky with ingress/egress. But it works fine!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

jakewilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Rob,

You won't get traditional NetFlow off of the 3750X unless the traffic goes through the 3KX module which costs another $3K-$4K.  You will be able to export Smart Logging Telemetry FnF (Flexible NetFlow) on the switch but, to the best of my knowledge, the only NetFlow reporting tool on the market that collects and reports on it is Scrutinizer NetFlow Analyzer.

Does this help?

Jake

Kind of, the traffic I'm interested in will pass through the 3KX module.

I need to know if it will work without SVI's configured, the switch will just function purely at layer two?

Thanks

Rob

Ican confirm that this will work on layer2. My 3750x with the 3kx sm is completely flat and I'm exporting from it. Configuring the flow monitors can be a little tricky with ingress/egress. But it works fine!

Thanks Mike, would you mind sharing a sample flow monitor configuration?

Regards

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card