cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network design question for inter VLAN routing on switch

mlafflin
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have cisco 3560's sitting behind sonicwalls and all VPN'ing back to my main office in a hub and spoke layout. This same setup is used in about 20 offices, all having between 1-4 POE 3560 switches with IP Phones (7961s) followed by Workstations.

The phones and workstations are on different VLANs and have different gateways and circuits. The Gateway for the workstations is the LAN address of the Sonicwall.

Each office has a dedicated router for our hosted phone solution which does not go through the Sonicwall. I do not have access to to their equpiment.

What I would like to do is to set up my network so that the phone vlan is routable through the switches if possible.

How would that work exactly? Would I need to set up a VLAN interface and use it's IP as my default gateway for any host I wanted to be able to get to the voice network? And then would I need to have a route created in the phone's router back to the vlan? Or is there some easier way for this to happen?

Thanks

-Matt

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you want to move the phone's default gateway from the router you don't access to to your switches, you can.  You have to create an SVI for each phone subnet and turn on routing on your switch. Than you need a layer-3 link between the switch and the router you don't access to. You also need to coordinate with whomever has access to the router to configure that side.  Than on you switch you only need a default route pointing to the address of the router.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card