Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Design

gavin.mckee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the following network design.

I am considering using 3750 switches to build server farms. In the first case we will be using 4 48 port 3750's in a stack linked back to a 4507R via SFP GLC-T= ports. The links will be at layer 3. We are considering building several server farms using this topology. The 4507 will act as Distribution/Core switches.

Any comments rated!

Gavin

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Gavin,

Looks good to me but is there any particular reason WHY you want to have layer 3 link between your server farm switch and distribution switch?

Is it like all server farms you will be having are in different subnets. Even if they are you can simply have a trunk connection between your stack switches and distribution switch and you can have routing if required on your distribution switch.

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

I'm thinking of scaling the network here. The maximum number of switches I can get in a stack is 9. Also the speed a 32Gbps back plane with the 3750 looks good to me for high performance computing applications.

Gav

Hey Gavin,

Good Luck!!

Ankur

ndarnell
Level 1
Level 1

Looks good to me.

Means you have no spanning tree or VTP to worry about and can control things as you need to via L3 routing protocol.

Rgds

N

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card