cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network device A, Subnet

tyagirobincisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys I have simple doubt. Please try to guide me. Its with respect to Network Device A?

q22.JPG

1. With a network wide mask of 255.255.255.128, each interface does not require an IP address.

2. With a network wide mask of 255.255.255.0, it must be a Layer 3 device for the PCs to communicate with

each other.

I could not understand the meaning of  above lines. What exactly is the meaning of saying that

With a network wide mask of 255.255.255.128, each interface does not require an IP address.

Please try to get me understood the meaning of 1 and 2.

Best Regards,

Robin

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robin

What is network device A ?

It makes a big difference to the answer. If it is a router then what are the IP addresses of the interfaces connection to both end devices ?

We need to understand the context to try and help provide an answer.

Jon

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

What an odd question, did it come from a text book or an exam?

Unless using a really wide subnet mask, the hosts are on different subnets, therefore will require a Layer 3 device in order for them to communicate with each other.

I am not sure what the relevance of those subnet masks is but as Jon has said, we need to know what Network Device A is.

Also, question 1 refers to 'each interface'.......each interface of which device? The switches? The Hosts? Network Device A?

The question is worded very badly and there it not enough information to answer it.

What an odd question

That is putting it mildly.

I would probably have used another word but is suspect the CSC filters would have blocked it

Jon

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robin

Just to clarify, my comments in the last post were aimed at the actual question and not at you so please feel free to come back with further details and we will do our best to help.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card