Views
Helpful
Replies

network diameter

christianpho
Level 1
Level 1

Hi !

I would like to know how I should calculated a diameter of a network for spanning-tree ?

thanks a lot !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Go over this link which provides ilustrated diagram and calculations performed by default stp timers through the layer 2 footprint.

From what I understand the recommended diamater by ieee on 802.1d is 7 hops.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/122.html

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Christian,

For simplicity, the STP network diameter is the highest possible number of switches a frame can go through when travelling across the layer2 network, by touching each switch only once (because the network being loop-free).

For example:

3 switches connected in triangle: the highest number of switches from edge to edge is 3.

Diameter is 3.

Cheers:

Istvan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Go over this link which provides ilustrated diagram and calculations performed by default stp timers through the layer 2 footprint.

From what I understand the recommended diamater by ieee on 802.1d is 7 hops.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/122.html

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

thanks a lot !

Istvan_Rabai
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Christian,

For simplicity, the STP network diameter is the highest possible number of switches a frame can go through when travelling across the layer2 network, by touching each switch only once (because the network being loop-free).

For example:

3 switches connected in triangle: the highest number of switches from edge to edge is 3.

Diameter is 3.

Cheers:

Istvan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card