cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network extender and adding new Vlans to my 6509

mnatalecore
Level 1
Level 1

Recently we acquired several Verizon network extenders to help boost cell phone reception in areas where it is exceptionally poor. These things should simply work by plugging them in. However that is not the case. What i've discovered is that the devices don't seem to work on 10.x networks at all. What i've got to do is add another vlan on a completely separate ip block to my network and have it routed outside properly.

Since I'm typically used to dealing with IOS based devices and only basic commands and interactions this seemed like a daunting task to me. I managed to figure out which switch and port I wanted to configure for this new internal vlan ( i called it VLAN 192) And i'm pretty sure I properly configured it on the individual switch. Additionally I've got the scope perperly setup in DHCP. However I havn't got the foggiest on what to do with my 6509 to get this to work. It seems to be running CatOS so i'm already slightly lost, but then from what I've gathered i've got to add the vlan to the management side of it, something i've never touched.

Can anyone give me a basic overview of the steps I should be taking and commands I'm going to need to get this vlan working throughout my network.

3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Recently we acquired several Verizon network extenders to help boost cell phone reception in areas where it is exceptionally poor. These things should simply work by plugging them in. However that is not the case. What i've discovered is that the devices don't seem to work on 10.x networks at all. What i've got to do is add another vlan on a completely separate ip block to my network and have it routed outside properly.

Since I'm typically used to dealing with IOS based devices and only basic commands and interactions this seemed like a daunting task to me. I managed to figure out which switch and port I wanted to configure for this new internal vlan ( i called it VLAN 192) And i'm pretty sure I properly configured it on the individual switch. Additionally I've got the scope perperly setup in DHCP. However I havn't got the foggiest on what to do with my 6509 to get this to work. It seems to be running CatOS so i'm already slightly lost, but then from what I've gathered i've got to add the vlan to the management side of it, something i've never touched.

Can anyone give me a basic overview of the steps I should be taking and commands I'm going to need to get this vlan working throughout my network.

Hi,

Check out the below link for CAT os commands and configuration of vlan in cat switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009478e.shtml

How is the routing part done in your newtork for rest of the vlans

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

I'm under the assumption that all of the routing is taking place on the supervisor portion of the 6509. Which is the area I'm assuming i need to configure. I've been able to create vlans on the switched i need to, but I'm not sure how to define that vlan so it begins working.

I'm under the assumption that all of the routing is taking place on the supervisor portion of the 6509. Which is the area I'm assuming i need to configure. I've been able to create vlans on the switched i need to, but I'm not sure how to define that vlan so it begins working.

Hi,

As per the link you can configure port in cat os to specifc vlan by using those command and if you want to extend the vlan over to other you can configure trunk port between the 6509 and other switch wher you want to extend these vlans over the trunk.

Following is the command to create vlan and to set a port to that vlan

CatosSwitch> (enable) set vlan 2 name ciscolan

If you want to add ports to the VLAN, issue the set vlan vlan_number mod/ports command.

CatosSwitch> (enable)set vlan 2 3/1-12

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card