ross_rulz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Can someone please see if the below is possible:

Core1-----Core3-----Core2

Core 1 is HSRP Active

Core 2 is HSRP Standby

Core 3 is a layer 3 switch but not participating in the HSRP for those particular vlans. Its all trunk ports between the Core switches so they all know the vlans.

The questions I'm asking is if I put a server in a vlan for example vlan 4 which is connected to Core 3 and Core 1 is the active HSRP gateway for that vlan 4 will it be able to get access to the HSRP gateway.

I think it will as Core 3 will have that route in its routing table.

If someone can let me know that will be good.

Thanks,

Ross.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ross

It does not matter whether Core 3 has the route in its routing table or not. Assuming that Core 1 and Core 2 are participating in HSRP on VLAN 4, and assuming that VLAN 4 is on an active trunk between all 3 core switches, then HSRP should work. If the server is connected to VLAN 4 on an access port on Core 3 then it still should work (assuming that Core 3 has a correct configuration of VLAN 4 access ports and that trunking is correctly configured on the switch). If Core 1 is the active router then it will have the shared/virtual IP address and also the MAC address for HSRP. Assuming that the server is configured with its default gateway being the virtual address for HSRP in VLAN 4 then the server will ARP for its gateway address. The ARP response will come from Core 1, and the server will forward traffic to its default gateway. Core 3 participates at layer 2 in forwarding traffic but does not play a role in HSRP at layer 3.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ross

It does not matter whether Core 3 has the route in its routing table or not. Assuming that Core 1 and Core 2 are participating in HSRP on VLAN 4, and assuming that VLAN 4 is on an active trunk between all 3 core switches, then HSRP should work. If the server is connected to VLAN 4 on an access port on Core 3 then it still should work (assuming that Core 3 has a correct configuration of VLAN 4 access ports and that trunking is correctly configured on the switch). If Core 1 is the active router then it will have the shared/virtual IP address and also the MAC address for HSRP. Assuming that the server is configured with its default gateway being the virtual address for HSRP in VLAN 4 then the server will ARP for its gateway address. The ARP response will come from Core 1, and the server will forward traffic to its default gateway. Core 3 participates at layer 2 in forwarding traffic but does not play a role in HSRP at layer 3.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Rick for clearing this up.

Cheers,

Ross.

Ross

I am glad that my response helped to clear this up for you. Thank you for using the rating system to mark this question as answered. It helps make the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that a correct answer was found. Your marking has contributed to this process.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card