Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Packet Loss

Thomas Yarger
Level 1
Level 1

Experts,

Is some packet loss on a campus network natural or should a network see no packet loss at all if properly configured? I'm asking because I performed a file transfer (900 Mb) from one host to another on the same switch (3750X), same VLAN with nothing else attached to the switch. QoS was not enabled on the switchports either. When I performed a Wireshark, I noticed a few packet drops that prompted a retransmit. Is this OK? Thanks

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It can be. The receiving host could be telling the sending host to slow down its transfer rate. The sending host could start backing off for a time before it starts to ramp up transfers again. Now, if you're pinging the receiving host from the sending host at the same time of sending the file, and you notice that you're losing 1 in 5 packets then you may have a problem. From your description though, retransmits are normal at times.

Aside from that, you'll also want to check your speed and duplex settings on the ports for both hosts and make sure they're both at full duplex and at the appropriate speed for your NIC

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In theory, if there's no oversubscription and there's only one flow, there shouldn't be packet loss on a network transit device that can support the transfer rate.  If there's any oversubscription or more than one flow across more than one ingress port, drops are possible.

The packet drops detected by Wireshark might be caused by either the sending or receiving hosts, independent of the network switch.  Do you have access to the switch's interfaces stats?  Do they show any drops?

I do have access to the switch and I'm showing no interface drops (input / output). I thought to myself it could be the configuration of Wireshark but I wasn't sure...

singhaam007
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Thomas,

You can use Netstat –e on ur machine and it will tell you if there is any error on host.

Then do netstat –s it will give u a snapshot of your machine. U can see from here is your host retransmitting and packets or not.

Please do rate if the given information helps

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: