Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Network printers, DSL Modems, Win XP and other animals . . .

Hi all,

Firstly appologies if this is in the wrong place . . . . . anyhoo here goes;

Small office network, just moved into a new office. Have two HP 3600N network printers, all setup and working fine . . . printed test pages on all machines, job done. Well turns out the HP printers are taking an age to print, most apps are say the cannot communicate with the printer, the ignore or wait option comes up.

Before I get into detail, the setup is as follows;

Win XP pro service pack 3 workstations
BT DSL via a Cisco WAG320N Router / Modem, used as modem into the network switch, nothing else connected to it.
Netgear FS728TP Switch
2 x HP 3600N Office Jet printers

My Windows 7 laptop sees the printers and prints no problem at all so it looks like it something XP is doing.

I've tried all of the following;

Reset the printers to default setting
Tried an old Netgear GS116 switch rather than the new one.
Tried the BT router modem rather than the cisco

I ended up disconnecting everything from the switch other then one of the XP work stations, one of the printers and the DSL modem.

When the workstation was disconnected from the internet (either by unplugging the modem from the network or removing the DNS setting) the workstation printed instantaneously, as soon as the workstation went back online the same problem.

I'm a newbie at this so am sure there's logs with far more detail I can print out and post, if someone can help and point me in the right direction I'd be happy to provide more info.

Thanks in advance for any help, this is driving me nuts :wall:

Jason

Views
Helpful
Replies