Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Speed

ray_stone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

This question is in regards to network speed performance between two ISP links.

I have two ISP links. One is 2 MBPS and second is 20 MBPS and from both link I'm uploading/downloading the files from Server which is placed at other location and the latency from both ISP is 250 ms.

Now my question is to know the network speed performance from both links even the latency is same.

Lets suppose 100 MB needs to be downloaded/uploaded and i use both links one by one so the downloading/uploading would be fast 10 times on second ISP link that 1st one, if no then please explain the reson.

Thanks..               

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

In theory, the path with 10x the bandwidth should be able to transfer the same amount of data in 1/10 the time.

In practice, many protocols (especially using a default configuration) are very much slowed by latency.  With 250 ms latency, you might not see any performance difference for a single flow.

That means the transfer rate will remain same with both links and same period will be used in order to transfer the DATA if we use both links one by one.

Please confirm if I'm correct here... thanks..

If the server you're downloading from only have a 1.5Mbps pipe to their ISP, that'll be the fastest it'll be able to serve your request no matter if you have a 2 Mbps pipe or 20 Mbps pipe

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

ray_stone wrote:

That means the transfer rate will remain same with both links and same period will be used in order to transfer the DATA if we use both links one by one.

Please confirm if I'm correct here... thanks..

Maybe, maybe not.  Again, depends on protocols being used and how (well) the end hosts use them.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card