Views
Helpful
Replies

Network Upgrading

kashifashraf
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Can any one help me on designing my new network.

My current network layout is attached on picture 1

Currently my network is running on switching only no Vlans are configured. Also in my network i have diffrent switches as mentioned in network layout.

Currently we have 2 buildings also mentioned in the layout.

I am planning to replace all the switches to Cisco 3560 switches but i will change it on phase wise.

After few months we will have 1 more new building

in first phase i have plan to purchase 1 Core Switch 4507R and 3 Edge Switches 3560 for new upcoming building.

Network Id is

172.16.0.1 to 172.16.3.254 with subnet mask 255.255.252.0

I have to keep this netork ID cz my database servers are configured on these ip address in cluster so it will be difficult to change the ip address.

I want to create building wise Vlans at least 4 Vlans 1 for server and 3 for 3 buildings.

Can any one help me how i can configure my new switches as well as current switches for inter vlan routing.

regards

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your existing 3750G is a L3 switch. You could either just define new VLANs at the port level on the 3750G and/or extend some VLANs to downstream connected switches via VLAN trunks. All the inter-VLAN routing could then be done on the 3750G. You could also preserve addessing for some of your servers, although if then are located off different switches, it will make keeping them on the same VLAN a little more complex.

The 4507R is a nice device, although for your size network, a stack of 3750s might suffice too. For either device, you could bring all VLANs to it, and again route all your subnets on it, or use the existing 3750G and new 3560s as routers. In that case, you would might have different subnets, in the same VLAN number, but not the same VLAN, off different L3 switches.

Further, on the new 3560s, your new diagram shows them as being used as L2 switches, so unclear why you don't obtain L2 switches instead.

BTW: in locations where the network devices are in the same room, you might want to consider 3750 or [new] 2975 stacks.

PS:

From the name of the device locations, and your choice of the 4507R, redundancy might be very important. If it is, you might want to especially consider that stackable switches and multiple links between different or redundant devices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card