Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New C1861 network setup

Hi.

We have a C1861 router with an ADSL2 HWIC and 2 7975G IP Phones. Unfortunately our provider has gone bust before setting it up for us.

As a result, I have had a go using the Configuration Professional application and been able to setup the basics however I am now confused.

We have a network with Microsoft Small Business Server 2008 and ISA Server 2006.

How do we add the C1861 as our gateway to run Call Manager express?

Can we leave the DHCP server on SBS2008? Will this effect CME? Or can we run 2 DHCP severs - 1 for the IP Phones and the other for PC's?

How should it be plugged in? Should the servers just be plugged into the 8 port swith or into any of the other ports?

Where can I get SMARTNET (I am in Brisbane, Australia) so I can get the right firmware for my phones to load into CME?

3 Replies 3

Tim Smith
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

May be a good idea to post up your config.

Output of Show run and Show version commands

Make sure you remove passwords etc.

You can run 2 x DHCP servers as long as they are on separate VLANs.

If your provider did anything correctly, then at least the firmware should be on the box.

Again, show version will help, and then show flash to see what you have.

Server should go into one of the switchports just like a PC. Technically it is always good practice to configure the port for the server specifically.

But you should definitely always have SMARTNET for your gear. You have to buy it from an authorised partner. Check Cisco.com partner locator.

Throw up your config, and will see what we can do.

Cheers,

Tim

Unfortunately the provider didn't do any of the setup - we were lucky to receive the hardware, let alone any support.

Just reading that, it doesn't even look like we got what we were after! We were meant to be getting a firewall in this as well.

The run/version are attached.

Hi,

Situation doesnt look too bad.

Can you do a "Show flash" as well?

Your config has the phone loads listed in the TFTP server, so hopefully they were pre-loaded on the box.

Also, if you do a "Show diag"

What sort of PSTN connectivity do you have? BRI? or just analog?

Bad news is you do not have firewall features in that SPServices feature set.

You could put basic access lists, but if it is going to be on the internet, it would be better to get the full security feature set.

Feel free to mail me offline if you like.. thsglobal@gmail.com

Cheers,

Tim

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card