cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New network desgin - where do I put my WAP?

ADynes
Level 1
Level 1

I am redesigning my network and moving all the servers/infrastructure to one VLAN, voice to another, users to a third, and DMZ on a fourth.  I planned on setting up a core switch with the four VLAN's and 5 trunk ports, 4 to other switches trunk ports and one to a Cisco 13010 wireless bridge going across the street to another 1310 which will go into another trunk port.  My question is this....my "users" VLAN will be 10.0.10.* while infrastructure will be 10.0.30.*.  Where do I plug in the access point if I assign it 10.0.30.?  ?  Do I put it on a trunk port and then make sure VLAN tagging is turned on for that VLAN?  For some reason I can't figure out this last part.  Or do I plug it into a port and assign that port to the "users" VLAN even though the AP itself has a IP address on another VLAN.  I guess the question is how will I get to it.  The switch is a Layer 3 switch. 

(I may really be missing something)

-Allan         

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Allan,

If your wireless user VLAN/Wired LAN Users are going to share the same subnet allocation then you can configure your AP and connect it to a access port of the user vlan switch. Does it has multiple vlan's in the AP itself????

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Allan,

If your wireless user VLAN/Wired LAN Users are going to share the same subnet allocation then you can configure your AP and connect it to a access port of the user vlan switch. Does it has multiple vlan's in the AP itself????

Please do rate if the given information helps.

By

Karthik

Currently I have a AP for my "secure" network and one for our  "Guest/DMZ" network.  But before the "secure" AP was just plugged into  the non tagged native vlan and under this new setup I was trying to keep  all "infrastructure" on one vlan.

So it looks like as you suggest I will have to give it  a IP address on the "users" vlan and just keep track of it.  The only  other option I have would be to get better AP's that can do VLAN tagging  on the AP then put the units managment address on the "infrastructure"  VLAN and place the unit itself on a trunk port.  That would let the user  data stay where I want it and the unit itself to go where I want it.   Plus I could then consolidate both AP's into one unit.  Hrm...may have  to do that.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can put wired users in one VLAN (10), wireless users in another VLAN(11), voice in another VLAN (12) and your WAPs in another VLAN (23).

ADynes
Level 1
Level 1

Karthik - I think that's what I'm asking.  So I will plug the AP into a access port for the Users VLAN even though the AP itself has a IP address that would naturally fall on another VLAN?   Or do I setup the AP to VLAN tag the connections with the user VLAN ID then plug the AP itself into a trunk port?

(Note: The "Core" switch that one AP will be plugged into is Layer 3 but another AP will be plugged into a Layer 2 switch.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: