Views
Helpful
Replies

New project New choices

mystikal57
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a project for a new network to change today's components.

Today my network is composed with differents CISCO 3750G and a lot of 2960/C/SX.

I have to change my topology to have 3 layers:

- 2 servers switchs

- 2 switchs for VSS

- Access layer

1 server switch                 1 backup server switch

1 switch----------VSS----———— 1 switch

differents access switchs

I think i can choose differents switch:

3850 or 3650 for server switch

4500E/6500 for VSS

3650 / 2960XR for access

This is a good choise or is very bad ?

Can i use 3650 for server switch or i have to use 3850 ?

2960XR is good for access/end user ?

Sorry for my bad english

Thank you

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To better answer your question can you tell us how many access switches you are going to have? Also, do they connect to your VSS core via fiber or copper? Are your server switch and backup server switch in the same location?

That will tell us how much capacity and scale we need to be able to accommodate.

3850 vs. 3650 gives you some more bandwidth in the stack (if you stack them), more APs can be supported with the built-in WLC (if you use it), and the uplink modules (for SFPs) are completely modular vs built-in and fixed at purchase time (as they are on the 3650)

Marvin listed numerous questions that we will need to recommend a solution on devices for you to consider.

I saw that you are planning to get either dual 4500s or 6500s. Will they be connected in the same datacenter,

or will they be connected together, between different building? If they're in different buidlings, MEC can be expensive,

if you have to pay someo to do, numerous runs, and especially if it's fiber.

Are you going to implement a wireless network?

I would run dual 6500s, with VSS configured, and if possible, have all access switches setup with MEC tot he 6500.

mystikal57
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, thank you very much                   

My lan is composed with400 PC, 40 servers, 40 switchs  and 35 AP

I need to have 10Gbps between VSS and servers

And a better equipment in 1 building in the access layer

They will be connected via fiber MM to the VSS.

backup's switch is located next to the server's room.

Thank you

PS: any other model may be sufficient to do the same thing ?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you have budget for 6500 and VSS, you might consider a pair of the new 6807s with IAs for user edge hosts.  Connect your servers directly to the 6807s, ideally with Etherchannel to each.

The 6807XL (setup in a VSS pair) with 6848ia Instant Access satellites would serve you quite well. I'm not quite following how you need 40 switches for 400 PCs and 40 servers.

You could also run a Nexus 5k core with FEXes for your servers and traditional access switches for your users. The 3650 or 3850 access switch would be a good choice. With VPC technology you get some of the benefits of VSS.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card