Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

New switch to stack - SW Version

Hi all.

I am looking to introuduce a new switch to my existing cisco 3750 stack. The existing stack is running the following version of IOS: 12.2(35)SE5

The new switch that is going in isn't actually a new switch, it has been removed from a decomissioned stack and reconfigured to go into my existing 3750 stack. The version of IOS on the new switch is 12.2(20)SE4.

What i want to know is will my new switch get a new image from my existing stack when it is introduced or will it continue to run on it's current IOS?

Thanks.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

New switch to stack - SW Version

Hi,

The best way I can suggest is as you already have this switch in hand why dont you upgrade the switch to the version

12.2(35)SE5 and then attach to the Stack this will save all your time and getting into any sort of trouble.

Anyway answer to your question would be: When you have different software version the stack says to this switch as version mismatch and it will not allow to be part of the stack.

eg:

Switches with different Cisco IOS software versions likely have different stack protocol versions. Switches with different major version numbers are incompatible and cannot exist in the same switch stack.

3750-Stk# show switch
                                               Current
Switch#  Role      Mac Address     Priority     State
--------------------------------------------------------
 1       Member    0015.c6f5.6000     1         Version Mismatch
*2       Master    0015.63f6.b700     15        Ready
 3       Member    0015.c6c1.3000     5         Ready

Ref: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#softcomp

HTH

Regards

Inayath

***Plz rate all usefull posts****

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content