cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to 3750 - How to take advantage of it?

usmanfarooq08
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

First time poster!

So I recently acquired a new 3750 with 48 ports (1000MB) and have it up and running within my network. I know my way around the switch but the I am not sure what to do with it.

Basically, I want to know how can I really take advantage of such a switch.

My network is simple as I have a ISP provided 2432 Router which I cannot do anything to it. The router is connected to the switch and every one is connected to the main switch (I have no redundancy, I know its scary but I do have a netgear switch as a back up).

Most people are connected using small switches near their desk and there are WiFi's as well.

I try doing VLAN but couldn't figure out the right configuration to do VLAN without using Router on a Stick feature.

So can you guys tell me what can I do with a single stand alone switch as far as security and monitoring is concern?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I try doing VLAN but couldn't figure out the right configuration to do VLAN without using Router on a Stick feature.

You can purchase license to enable routing on the 3750.  The switch can be the "router" to perform inter-vlan routing.

So can you guys tell me what can I do with a single stand alone switch as far as security and monitoring is concern?

Try the following commands:

1.  spanning-tree portfast; with

2.  spanning-tree bpduguard enable

switchport port-security

switchport port-security maximum 1
switchport port-security aging time 2
switchport port-security violation restrict
switchport port-security aging type inactivity

Hope these helps.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card