cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New to 3750 - How to take advantage of it?

usmanfarooq08
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

First time poster!

So I recently acquired a new 3750 with 48 ports (1000MB) and have it up and running within my network. I know my way around the switch but the I am not sure what to do with it.

Basically, I want to know how can I really take advantage of such a switch.

My network is simple as I have a ISP provided 2432 Router which I cannot do anything to it. The router is connected to the switch and every one is connected to the main switch (I have no redundancy, I know its scary but I do have a netgear switch as a back up).

Most people are connected using small switches near their desk and there are WiFi's as well.

I try doing VLAN but couldn't figure out the right configuration to do VLAN without using Router on a Stick feature.

So can you guys tell me what can I do with a single stand alone switch as far as security and monitoring is concern?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I try doing VLAN but couldn't figure out the right configuration to do VLAN without using Router on a Stick feature.

You can purchase license to enable routing on the 3750.  The switch can be the "router" to perform inter-vlan routing.

So can you guys tell me what can I do with a single stand alone switch as far as security and monitoring is concern?

Try the following commands:

1.  spanning-tree portfast; with

2.  spanning-tree bpduguard enable

switchport port-security

switchport port-security maximum 1
switchport port-security aging time 2
switchport port-security violation restrict
switchport port-security aging type inactivity

Hope these helps.

Please don't forget to rate useful posts.  Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card