cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

New VLAN Config

bmtcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I want to create a new VLAN and just want to be sure that my thought process for this is correct. I first need to create the VLAN on our switch, and then need to create the sub interfaces on the Router's ethernet inteface for the VLAN's. Does the port on the switch that the Routers Ethernet interface is connected need to be configured as a trunk ports as well

Any help or guidance is apreciated

3 Replies 3

izackvail
Level 1
Level 1

Yes. You would create the subinterface on the router and then assign it a vlan "encapsulation dot1q ". The switch will need to be set to form a trunk on the interface also. If I remember correctly router subinterfaces won't participate in DTP so you would need to manually create the trunk on the switch side.

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk encap dot1q

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

Yes if the interface on the router is configured with subinterfaces then the interface on the switch needs to be configured as a trunk.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Router On A Stick is what you are talking about. Configuration depends on the IOS Version.

Here is a very good link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_example09186a00800ef797.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card