Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Newbie asking about trunking

Hi to fellow forumers,

I am a newbie on the use of trunking and I had some enquiries about the use of it. If anyone can help, that's would be great and thanks in advance.

I had 3 different networks in which 2 are connected to normal linksys/dlink switch and one to cisco 2950c. All 3 networks are running on different subnets. I had just purchased another 2950c in hope to trunk up all the 3 networks together so that they can intercommunicate.

a. For the linksys/dlink switches, can I use straight cables to connect to the trunk port on the new 2950c?

b. Instead of using a router to route traffic, are there any ways to configure the new 2950c so that all three different subnets can talk to one another?

Initially, I was under the impression that 2950c should be enough for the task but now, it seems like I am totally wrong. Any advise on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tan

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Newbie asking about trunking

Hi Tan,

You need a cross cable to connect 2 switches. Second 2950 is a pure layer 2 switch and will not route between vlans.

You need a router and connect it to 2950 switch after configuring 2950 switch as trunk port and then configure router to do routing betwene vlans or you have to buy any layer 3 switch.

Have a look at this link

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/50.shtml#801.1Q

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Views
Helpful
Replies