Views
Helpful
Replies

Newbie: login to a Cisco 2950 switch and modify VLAN entry on its ports

scampsd123
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

In my lab, there are some machines that are connected using Cisco 2950 switches. Those machines belong to a VLAN.

Now I need to modify the VLAN settings of the machines and as such I also need to modify the VLAN settings on the ports on the Cisco switches.

In order to do this, first I need to login to those switches, but due to a lack of knowledge transfer, I don't have the password. Is the some generic password?

Second I will need to  modify the VLAN settings on each individual port. How can I do this?

Thanks

Dominique

2 Replies 2

Are these brand new switches or second hand?  What type of modifications are you looking to do to the VLANs?

--
Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

there is no password by default on the switch. How are you connecting to it? if it is via a console cable what password is it asking, the exec password or the privileged mode password? If it is connected to another switch or router can you do a sh cdp nei detail on this neighbouring device to find out the management IP then try to login via telnet/ssh and maybe there is no login password there.Anyway if you're locked out of the switch you'll have to do a password recovery to login or ask your colleagues the credentials.

here is the link for password recovery: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

For changing VLAN mapping of a port:

switch# enable

switch(config)# switchport access vlan

This will only work if the switch is in VTP server or transparent mode: to verify switch# sh vtp status

then to see the mapping is done correctly : switch# sh vlan brief  and you should see the ports active for the VLAN id

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card