Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Nexus 1000V Design Best Practices

Hi all,

I am working on bringing up a new ESX host with the Nexus 1000V and I am trying to figure out what's the optimal way in setting this up. I understand going forward Cisco recommended using L3 mode for VSM and VEM communication. And I have some questions around design best practices.

I have 4 NIC's on the ESX host that I am working on. I've dedicate a NIC for Service Console, a NIC for vMotion and 2 NIC's (Port-channel) to carray VM data traffic. Service Console and vMotion will be on a separate VLAN. Are there any issues / concerns with this setup ? The VSM and VEM are running on this same ESX host.

Here is the VLAN assignment:

Service console - VLAN 10

vMotion - VLAN 20

vCenter server - VLAN 30

With L3 Mode for VSM and VEM communication, does the VSM Mgmt0 interface have to be in the same VLAN as vCenter server ? are there any specific requirements for this ?

Currently I have the VSM and VEM installed and I am able to get the VSM to communicate with vCenter but I am not able to see the VEM when I do the "show module" command. I have not move any pnic over to the Nexus 1000V yet. Do I need to move the pnic over for the VEM to come online ?

Thanks all !! I appreciate any inputs/suggestions !!

D.

Views
Helpful
Replies