Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000v Using multiple uplink port-profiles on one host

allannelson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have been using the Nexus 1000v for a few months now, and up till now, have only been managing a cluster of 3 hosts.

I have just added the DVS to another cluster of 2 hosts (in the same datacenter) and created a new uplink port-profile for the new cluster (less VLAN's are allowed on the new profile). This is all working fine, and that hosts/vm's can access everything they need to.

This new cluster also has an iSCSI network attached. This network is physically seperate, and I would like to use the Nexus to control the networking for it all.

I created another Uplink port-profile and as this is a physically seperate network, I just made it an access port. I also created a vethernet port-profile to use for the VMKernel interface.

I added the physical ports that connect to the iSCSI network to the new port-profile, and then setup the vmkernel port. This however does not seem to work.

It appears that the vethernet port-profile used for iSCSI does not know to use the uplink port-profile that is attached to the iSCSI network.

So my questions is 2 fold, is is possible to use 2 or more uplink (ethernet) port-profiles on a single host, and if so, how do you specify which uplink port-profile a vethernet port-profile should use.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Regards

Allan

4 Replies 4

allannelson
Level 1
Level 1

No one has any idea?

Do I need to give more detail or something?

Thanks

Allan

Thanks for the reply Thomas.

I have gone through that article a number of times, and have been able to add the iSCSI uplink etc. However this does not fix my problem or answer my question.

It still seems that if there is more than one uplink (as I have), to be able to use both at once, i need a way of telling a port-profile which uplink to use. I can not find this though.

I think maybe a screen shot may help.

I will get some screen shots and reply soon.

Allan

Yes it is possible. You would basically use VLANs.  I also believe your physical (capability uplink) ports should be trunk ports and then use the switchport trunk allowed vlan xx, xxx to control which vlans that are handled by that port-channel.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card