Patrick Werner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community.

I have a brand new Nexus 3548 switch. And I did the vtp setup:

vtp version 2

vtp password ******

vtp domain *****

Every thing is ok, but If I use the command "vtp mode server" the switch doesn't know that command. Even it doesn't know the "vtp mode" subcommand?

What's the problem ?

Best regards patrick

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Johan Sjöberg
Level 1
Level 1

I was just in contact with Cisco support about this, and they confirmed that it is not supported, and not on the roadmap. It unbelieavably stupid and I don't understand why.

This feature is available in the most basic Catalyst switches since 10 years, how are Cisco thinking that we should manage VLANs?

View solution in original post

You're right. Thanks Cisco, for making technician life harder.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Dragan Ilic
Level 4
Level 4

Could you try "feature vtp" in config mode first?

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Ah sorry I forgot. For sure i did the command "feature vtp".

Patrick

The Nexus 3548 supports only Transparent mode:

Step 5 vtp mode {transparent| off} Sets the VTP mode to transparent or off.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus3548/sw/layer_2_switching/b_Cisco_N3548_Layer_2_Switching_Config_503A1.pdf

I have no clue why.

Patrick

"Patrick is correct , that switch is so old client/server wasn't even an option yet.

Is it really that old ? The oldest image I can download is from 2012.

Offcourse it's not old :)...I don't know on what switch glen.grant thought but nexus 3548 is certainly not old one...

BR,
Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

According to cisco bug toolkit this was known VTP problem under ID "CSCty65147"

But I just saw that status of this bug is fixed as of 24 Jun 2014. Could you try upgrading your NX-OS on that switch and see if VTP operates OK?

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Aha, again a BUG :-) I'll download the newest image. I unpack that switch 2 weeks ago, I'm curious how old the image is on that switch.

Thanks Patrick

Johan Sjöberg
Level 1
Level 1

I was just in contact with Cisco support about this, and they confirmed that it is not supported, and not on the roadmap. It unbelieavably stupid and I don't understand why.

This feature is available in the most basic Catalyst switches since 10 years, how are Cisco thinking that we should manage VLANs?

You're right. Thanks Cisco, for making technician life harder.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card