Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5020 - How to Create a Native VLAN on a Port-Channel

Eric Wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm stumped here on configuring a native VLAN on my Nexus 5020. The commands I'm using are below, if you notice after I issue the command "switchport trunk native vlan 1" there is no error as I would expect or a message telling me 'invalid command' if something wasn't right, but nothing. It would appear that the command took successfully, but everytime I look at the port-channel interface it still doesn't show the native vlan.

I also added VLAN 1 to the trunk statement (switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,160,170) first, than tried adding VLAN 1 as the native, but that didn't work either.

I only have 2 ports on this particular port-channel that I also attemtped to configure individually but of course you can't why'll they are associated with an active port-channel as expected, but just thought I would try. I have seen stranger things with some switches in the past. Maybe it's something very simple or a matter of the order in which I setup the trunk on the port-channel, I don't know, but any help is appreciated.

This particular switch is connected to a cisco 6509 using a 10Gbe line card.

Every manual I have read seems to be the same steps to add a native VLAN, but they only describe how to add it to a single interface without a port-channel. That's easy, but not what I want to do - I need to be able to add it directly to the port-channel, that's the point of setting up port-channels really so that you don't have to edit each port individually.

NX5020-B1-NET(config-if)# int po13

NX5020-B1-NET(config-if)# sh run int po13

!Command: show running-config interface port-channel13

!Time: Thu Jan  9 21:03:23 2014

version 5.0(2)N2(1)

interface port-channel13

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 160,170

NX5020-B1-NET(config-if)# switchport trunk native vlan 1

NX5020-B1-NET(config-if)# sh run int po13

!Command: show running-config interface port-channel13

!Time: Thu Jan  9 21:03:52 2014

version 5.0(2)N2(1)

interface port-channel13

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan 160,170

NX5020-B1-NET(config-if)#

NX5020-B1-NET# show vlan

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports

---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------

1    default                          active   

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric

Not familiar with Nexus but can you post the equivalent of "sh int trunk" from the Nexus ?

It may be that because vlan 1 is the default native vlan you would only see it if you configured a different one.

Jon

Hello Jon,

I think I figured it out. With the Nexus switches since the default VLAN is already implied as being "VLAN 1" on these switches you do not need to add that statement to these switches.

So without that statement "switchport trunk native VLAN 1" this functionality to send utagged packets and traverse the port untagged should already function via the default VLAN.

A little differnt then some other switches I have worked with where you need to explicitly add a 'native' VLAN statement.

So if you wanted to see a native VLAN then you would need to be adding a user-configured VLAN that is not the already default. Such as if you created VLAN 20 and added that as native, then you would see that when you run "sh int po13".

Hope that was clear.

Thanks for responding!!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card