cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 not responding to snmp

billmatthews
Level 1
Level 1

I've got a Nexus 5548 running 6.0(2)N2(3).  It does not use the mgmt interface or management vrf.  It's using a vlan interface for all my management access.

I have a simple snmp config set up:

snmp-server community mystring

My SNMP server is directly connected (no firewalls, no acls).  I can ping my nexus from the SNMP host, but can't get SNMP replies.

I've done an SNMP debug, nothing happens when I run an snmpwalk.  I also checked show snmp, and it's showing no SNMP input packets.  

Could this have something to do with trying to use the management vrf?  Or something simple I'm missing?  

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should not have to do anything with the management vrf since you are trying to use a vlan.

do you have this line in your config?

snmp-server host xx.xx.xx.x traps version 2c mystring

Also, what is the output of "sh run snmp"?

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It should not have to do anything with the management vrf since you are trying to use a vlan.

do you have this line in your config?

snmp-server host xx.xx.xx.x traps version 2c mystring

Also, what is the output of "sh run snmp"?

HTH

Ha wow -- "sh run snmp" pointed me to the problem. There was a command:

no snmp-server protocol enable

That must be a default, I never entered that.  Anyway a 'snmp-server protocol enable' fixed it.  I should have caught that.  Although an hour with TAC also didn't notice it hehe.

Thanks!

Glad to know you are good to go.

An hour with TAC and they didn't even look to see if SNMP is enabled? hmm, make you wonder how much some of these guys really know.

Agreed!  We were doing wireshark captures, ethanalyzer, snmp debugs etc.  Missed the no enable 

Although I'm also a little surprised a "show snmp" doesn't tell you it's disabled.  At least not that I saw.  

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card