Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5548 routing

Moon1998
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

we recently installed several 5548 nexus switches, nx-os version 6.0(2)N2(1).

The L3 daughter card is not installed, and there is not even LAN_BASE_SERVICES_PKG licence installed.

Now, how I understand documentaion and also few other threads in this forum, I should need L3 module and the licence to enable routing. However it seems, that static routing works - I am able to configure SVIs, and with static routing traffic between some testing loopback everything looks ok. HSRP is possible to configure, but it doesn't work, which is expected according to documentation I found.

In routing table all records are marked as pending, but I was not able to found what does that mean:

10.6.6.0/24, ubest/mbest: 1/0, pending

*via 10.32.32.241, [1/0], 2d19h, static

Again, even it's marked as pending, it actually works.

Can someone please clarify? If the static routing is enabled by default, are there any limitations? For HSPR is the base licence enough, or the L3 daugther card is required as well?

Many thanks,

Martin

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

See table-3 in this link.  HSRP and VRRP will not function without the proper license.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/nx-os/licensing/guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide/b_Cisco_NX-OS_Licensing_Guide_chapter_01.html

Although this feature can be enabled and configured in the CLI without this license, it will not function until the license is installed.

HTH

Hi,

ye, HSRP issue is clear, but I am still puzzled on routing itself. What I was able to found online it seems, that even without L3 daughter card static routing actually works, but it's handled by CPU. However, I was not able to find any official statement on that, or expected performance in this case.

Cheers,

Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: