You need to have the correct fan.
Also, plan for an outage as you need to move VERY, VERY fast when swapping out the fan modules.
Important note that the power supply and the fan should have the same air flow
Caution You must order all fan modules and power supplies in the same chassis so that they have the same direction of airflow with coolant air entering the chassis from the cold aisle and exhausting to the hot aisle
You need to buy new fans and power supplies.
I just got mine in today and am trying to decide when to do it. Is it possible to swap one fan module, wait a second to make sure it turned on, then swap the other fan module? Same process with the power supplies? My concern is it not taking the first new fan or power supply since it's backwards to the to other.
To put is simply, does changing airflow direction require a shutdown?
I just completed the change of airflow direction for Nexus 5548UP while the switch is still online and running. It is possible to swap fan and power modules without shutting down the switch. There are few catches that you need to pay attentions when you want to change the airflow directions:
To swap two fans and two power modules on Nexus 5548UP while it's running:
1) make sure you have the latest IOS or at least 6.0+, I have system: version 6.0(2)N2(1). Also, please don't forget to save running config just in case if the switch will be shutdown.
2) make sure you have all your new fans and power modules unpacked and ready to be installed
3) connect to the switch console port to monitor the logs and status
4) Pay attention to the switch console, it will give out warnings about fan failure (but switch will continue to run).
5) Important: The first new fan that you just replaced (with opposite airflow direction), the switch will detect the the incorrect airflow, and begin to give out warnings with countdown timer. You have only less than 60 seconds to complete the rest of swapping before the switch will shutdown. Not only you need to swap out each module quickly, but need to pay attention to each new module wait for it online before replacing the next module.
6) To start the process, insert in the first new fan with opposite airflow direction, take about few seconds and wait for spinning up [green light]. The switch console will display: "incorrect airflow detected, the switch will shutdown in 60 seconds.....". Just move onto next step...
7) replace the second fan, wait few seconds for new fan to spin up [green light].
8) replace the first power module
9) Important: make sure the first new power module is online [green light], then you can proceed and replace the second power module.
10) Completed! you may check "show inventory" to see if all new fans and power modules are online and shown. The switch was up and running the whole time.
Please give rating if it helps you! Thanks!