cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596 UP airflow

dragmuab2
Level 1
Level 1

I have a nexus 5596 and I am wondering if anyone knows why they decided to make it back to front air flow. Also I have installed it in a cabinet and it is blowing into the cold aisle. I have most of the ports filled and am wondering if there are any options to reverse the airflow.

Also, does anyone know how cisco intended these to be installed and have 48 cables connected with the back to front air flow?

Any help will be appreciated.   

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the 5k series you can do front to back and back to front:

Airflow Direction

The airflow through the fan trays and power supplies on the Cisco Nexus 5548 UP switch is either from front to back or from back to front, depending on how the modules were ordered. The airflow through the other Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches is from front to back. To ensure proper airflow, you must make sure that when you install the switch its air intake is positioned in a cold aisle and the air exhaust is positioned in a hot aisle for your data center.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/install5500.html#wp1210908

Also, does anyone know how cisco intended these to be installed and have 48 cables connected with the back to front air flow?

It should be installed with ports facing on the same side where your server ports are located.

HTH

View solution in original post

I have only used 5548UP and it is front to back. And yes, you can change your to be front to back.

HTH

Yes,  here is the part number for tha fan

N5548P-FAN(=)

Cisco Nexus 5548P/5548UP Fan Module, Front-to-Back Airflow, Spare

see table-11 for fan and power supply part numbers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/data_sheet_c78-618603.html

HTH

7 Replies 7

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For the 5k series you can do front to back and back to front:

Airflow Direction

The airflow through the fan trays and power supplies on the Cisco Nexus 5548 UP switch is either from front to back or from back to front, depending on how the modules were ordered. The airflow through the other Cisco Nexus 5000 Series switches is from front to back. To ensure proper airflow, you must make sure that when you install the switch its air intake is positioned in a cold aisle and the air exhaust is positioned in a hot aisle for your data center.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/hw/installation/guide/install5500.html#wp1210908

It should be installed with ports facing on the same side where your server ports are located.

HTH

If I already have the back to front model can I change them to front to back with replacement fans?

I have the ports facing the correct side but I have the wrong air flow model. Also I have the 5596UP. Is the model number you used 5548 UP the front to back?

I have only used 5548UP and it is front to back. And yes, you can change your to be front to back.

HTH

Thank you for your help.

Do you know if I need to replace the fans and power supplies?

Yes,  here is the part number for tha fan

N5548P-FAN(=)

Cisco Nexus 5548P/5548UP Fan Module, Front-to-Back Airflow, Spare

see table-11 for fan and power supply part numbers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/data_sheet_c78-618603.html

HTH

Thank you. You're Awesome.

Glad to help David,

Thanks for the rating!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco