cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5596UP L3 OSPF Issue

jedson328
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 Nexus 5596UPs with a layer 3 cards that are exhibiting some very peculiar behavior.  The systems are running 5.1(3)N1(1).

I have configured 2 VRF contexts each running their own OSPF process.  There is a static gateway of last resort configured on each VRF, which is to an upstream pair of 5585X's in Active/Active.  Each OSPF process has the "default-information originate always" command configured, however, backbone neighbors are not recieving a gateway of last resort from the 5596UPs.  The applicable configurations are show below.  All other routing information is passing correctly between devices in the network.  This network is not production, it is a proof of concept for a larger implementation.

The way I understand it from all documentation is that the "default-information originate" command should distribute a default route to neighbors, as long as a  0.0.0.0/0 route exists in the routing table.  The "default-information originate always"  will distribute a default route to neighbors even if there is not a static route in the routing table.  Neither seem to be working in my case.  Anyone else seeing this behavior, or understand why it is not working as it should on the Nexus 5000 platform?

vrf context Guest

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 xxx.xxx.11.11

vrf context Internal

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 10.1.0.11

router ospf 10

default-information originate always

vrf Internal

router ospf 159

vrf Guest

More configuration can be provided upon request.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeremy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think you reverse the order when you enter the command. I don't have a Nexus 5596 with L3 right now but this is what I did in a Nexus 7000:

router ospf 201

vrf TEST

The default-information orginate always goes into the vrf not outside. Try it out and let me know.

Regards,

jerry

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think you reverse the order when you enter the command. I don't have a Nexus 5596 with L3 right now but this is what I did in a Nexus 7000:

router ospf 201

vrf TEST

The default-information orginate always goes into the vrf not outside. Try it out and let me know.

Regards,

jerry

Yep, that was it.  It is working now, thanks for your help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card