Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5k Scheduled Reload

kishore.rajani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is there a command similar to "reload in" for Nexus 5k and 3k.

I have been searching, but couldnt find, hence thought of asking the expert community here.

Thanks

25 Replies 25

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kishore,

The Reload in option was removed in NX-OS as we have checkpoint option. Mostly we use reload in option, if we need to back out any configurations and reset the box to original state. If this is what you are trying, you can achieve this with the checkpoint and rollback options.

Below link for your reference,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/system_management/configuration/guide/sm_7rollback.html

Thanks,

Richard

*Rate if this useful

Hi Richard,

Are you able to elaborate on your answer, from my understanding the 'rollback' cmd has to be executed from the cli. 

One of the benefits of the 'reload in x' cmd would it would ensure the device would return to an original state when you locked yourself out. 

Thanks.

John

I dont believe any NXOS platform does this. I will raise an enhancement for this. Having it will not cause any harm.

Richard

Any update on this?  Has the feature been added back in?  The lack of "reload in" makes the Nexus switch a truly useless product for remote administration.  I'm about to have to travel overseas because we've got a remote issue with the ip tables, but the troubleshooting might potentially disconnect the switch from US network.  I used to be able to "reload in 30" after everyone went home, make the changes and cancel the reload if it worked or wait 30 and get back in if it didn't.  Now I have to go physically sit there.  It's a waste of time an money.

Wow...

I just ran up against this. I can work around it so far, but never mind that... This is a feature I use all the time in automation and for some risky or remote changes.

Why would this function be removed? It has only been around for 20 years, whoever made the decision to remove it should be blackballed from the entire technology field.

I missed the reload in function from NX-OS so I found a way to do it using a simple python script.  It is sometimes a  challenge to manage a remote Nexus without the "safety net" that the pre-scheduled reload provides.

The attached file will create a python scripts called reload.  It needs to be in bootflash:/scripts directory.  The attached file tries to help create the directory if needed and place the script there. 

You can run it with:

source background reload in xx

source reload cancel

I didn't build logic for 'reload at' form of the command.  I only really ever needed the 'in' form of the command.

Clinton,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! It works perfectly and really saved me while doing some remote work that could have screwed me without this.

-Troy

Hi Troy,

Thanks for letting me know it helped you out!  It gives me incentive to share more stuff!

-Clinton

Nice script. Many thanks for posting this. I now use this whenever I'm changing parameters that could lock me out of the box.

Brian

Hello Team,

I investigated on scheduled reload in NX9K running NX-OS V7.

Does sb have an updated script for those ? I there a special name extension (e.g. .py) required to run this script on the switch ?

Also NX-OS V7 now got the run-script command instead. Source background don´t seems to work anymore.

Any comments appreciated.

Alfred

Great script. Works great on Nx5672 !

I have tried to use it on Nx9372 (in NxOS mode) but it fails.

Nx9372# source background reload in 10
pid 11743
Nx9372#
Nx9372# source reload cancel
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/bootflash/scripts/reload", line 46, in <module>
    if len(sys.argv) < 2:                                                   
NameError: name 'sys' is not defined
Nx9372#

Any ideas to fix this ? Anything more that need to be imported on Nx9300

Found the issue in what neded to be imported.

Added below after "import cisco":

from cli import *

import sys

Se attached script that works on Nx9300.

[EDIT]

reload cancel did not work

Not a recommended way to abort a change as there are much better options. I did test however and for the N9k use the added imports to the script Per mentioned:

from cli import *

import sys

However we cannot kill the background process by calling it (likely we need to kill PID). It moves through the "abort reload"function without an error but still reloads.

I tested by running in the foreground and was able to abort the reload by stopping the script via Ctrl-c:

source reload in xx <<<<<<< Ctrl-c before time runs down if you want to cancel the reload.

Ran over a separate ssh session in my test (it is running in the foreground and we would need another ssh session to make the changes). Both the reload and abort reload work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card