Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 5K VPC Peer-Link

Patrick Murphy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All:

I just want to confirm I understand the VPC Peer-Link correctly.  We have 2 6509 VSS as cores and 2 N5K's using VPC.  If 2 servers were single connected to the N5k on an "orphaned" port (one server on each 5k), how will this traffic flow between the two servers?  From what I understand, this traffic flow would be sent through the 6509's.  It would not normally traverse the 5k peer-link, correct?  If we wanted the traffic to flow directly between the 2 N5k's, we would need to setup a seperate physical trunk between the 2 N5k's?

Thanks,

Patrick

2 Replies 2

belovell
Level 1
Level 1

This will most likely work but is not a cisco recommended design and if you did run into a forwarding problem speciffic to this scenario it's not 100% that the developers would consider it supported and fix the bug. If this was a 7K there would be a few additional gotchas that would make it an even worse idea. On a 5K you can likely get away with it but the short answer is don't do it.

-Ben

Thanks for the confirmation.  I definately don't want to setup a seperate direct connection between the N5K for data traffic.  Like, you said, there are a host of caveats that will pop up.

Thanks,

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card