Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 ISSU upgrade

Joris Deprouw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am planning an ISSU upgrade on my nexus 7000. On this chassis there are also Nexus 2000 connected. Since they don't support vpc, all fexes are connected to a single chassis. (but different card).

The chassis will upgrade without interruption, but what about the fexes? They will also need  the new NX-OS. Do they reboot after or during the upgrade? Or is it without interruption like the 7000 chassis?

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Joris                  

13 Replies 13

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Have a look at this link with direct FEX to the 7K.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-33777

I suspect that there is going to be a short outage since the FEXs will need to be rebooted after the upgrade.

HTH

Thanks Reza,

I found this link already to be very usefull. But there's no clear behaviour of the fexes in there.

I just wanted to know if the fexes are upgraded automatically or you can do it manually at a more convenient time.

Thanks,

Best Regards,

JOris

Hi Joris,

I don't think there is way to upgrade the FEXs manually.  Once you upgrade to the new code, it will get pushed to the FEXs.  That is the behavior I have seen with FEXs attached to 5Ks.

HTH

Thanks Reza,

I found this on the cisco website.

Software maintenance simplification: The Cisco Nexus 2000 Series software is embedded in the Cisco Nexus parent switch software. The fabric extender is a ready-to-use device that automatically downloads the software image from the Cisco Nexus parent switch in the same way that a line card downloads software from the supervisor engine in a modular chassis. In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) on the fabric extenders provides the capability to perform transparent software upgrades, reducing downtime and allowing customers to integrate the newest features and functions with little or no effect on network operation for Ethernet, storage, and converged network environments.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps10110/data_sheet_c78-507093.html

Reading this I would conclude that the fex stays up during the upgrade...

I have also a cisco case open for a previous issue on the 7000. I will ask the question also to the cisco engineer.

Best Regards,

Joris

Reza,

I already did a show install all impact on the 7000 and he returned me this output. Everything is disruptive because the second supervisor is not yet installed. But it seems that when I installed the second sup, the upgrade of module 150-153 (fexes) will also be without interruption.

I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards,

joris

Compatibility check is done:

Module bootable Impact Install-type Reason

------ -------- -------------- ------------ ------

1 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

4 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

6 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

7 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

150 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

151 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

152 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

153 yes disruptive reset Reset due to single supervisor

Hi Joris,

Great info (+5).  Please keep me posted, as I am interested to know how would the 2ks get upgraded without an outage/reboot.

Thanks,

Reza

Reza,

Let me try to do the same on lab device and see how it goes when i get time.

REgards

Inayath

Thanks Inayath!!!

Reza

Hi All,

This is the reply which I received from Cisco Tac.

"During an ISSU the FEX's will be upgraded automatically and will not cause a disruption for your network. If you require a disruptive upgrade or issue a reload, the FEX's will reboot which could lead to an outage until they come back online."

Best Regards,

Joris

Hi Joris,

So, if I understand this correctly, the TAC is indicating that after upgrading the code on a FEX, there is no need to reboot?

Reza

Hi Reza,

Yes indeed, that's what they are saying.

Maybe Inayath can confirm this after the lab test. I will do the upgrade on saturday, so I can give feedback next week.

Best Regards,

Joris

Joris Deprouw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I did the Issu upgrade today and like Cisco mentioned the fexes are not impacted. There are seen as a line card, no downtime.

We did have an issue with the mgmt0 interface on the sup.

After the upgrade the management addresses weren't reachable anymore. A sh / no sh of the mgmt interface didn't work. We had to do a sh/no sh of the uplink port on which mgmt0 was connected.

Best Regards,

Joris

Hi Joris,

Thanks for the update!!!

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: