Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 Span Limitation

fhoban
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I've learned recently that the Nexus 7000 only allows the configuration of a maximum of 2 Monitor sessions for spanning traffic. I only have one monitor session left and I need to do the following. 2 Core Nexus 7000 boxes with 2 different traffic probes/sniffers to each nexus( eg Sniffer 1 connects to Switch A on interface eth 1 and to Switch B on eth 1 ; Sniffer 2 connects to Switch A on eth 2 and to Switch B on eth 2.) My plan was to setup a standard session with multiple sources and destinations then on the interfaces connecting to the sniffers run a trunk and do 'sw trunk allowed xxxxx' and filter what I need to go to each sniffer box. However I've recently found out that some of my source traffic is coming from Port-Channel interfaces.

Is there a way I can get around this and still do the filtering within only 1 monitor session ?

Thanks in advance,

Frank

1 Reply 1

csarto
Level 1
Level 1

As stated from this documentation http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Cisco_NX-OS/IOS_SPAN_Comparison :

A single SPAN session can include mixed sources (Ethernet ports, Ethernet Port-Channels, RSPAN sources, VLANs, and the CPU control-plane interface).

128 source interfaces can be configured per session.

32 source VLANs can be configured per session.

32 destination interfaces can be configured per session.

A destination interface can be configured in switchport access or switchport trunk mode. (Trunk mode allows you to tag traffic toward a destination or to perform destination VLAN filtering.)

So I can suppose that with right filters your implementation can be done.

The only caveats/clarifications:

- is your etherchannel a trunk and some vlans go to sniffer 1 and others go to sniffer 2 ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: