Views
Helpful
Replies

nexus 7000 vPC

jchan
Level 1
Level 1

If I have two VDC on each nx7000

How many cables I need to connect them all ?

I heard one pair(two physical link) for each VDC ?!?

So I will need four physical dedicate links ?!

Thanks

Johnson

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Johnson,

the following can be a good starting point

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9670/C07-572831-00_Dsgn_Nexus_vPC_DG.pdf

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If I have two VDC on each nx7000

How many cables I need to connect them all ?

I heard one pair(two physical link) for each VDC ?!?

So I will need four physical dedicate links ?!

Thanks

Johnson

Hi Johnson,

A  virtual port channel (vPC) allows links that are physically connected to two different Cisco Nexus 7000 Series devices to appear as a single port channel by a third device and the third device can be a switch, server, or any other networking device that supports port channels.

Check out the below link on cisco nexus 7000 series Hope that helps

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_1/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/if_vPC.html

Ganesh.H

Aaron D
Level 1
Level 1

You are correct. This was a tough gotcha in a customer scenario we ran into. Each VDC requires a physical connect when you want them connected, no matter if its on the same chassis or not. There was no virtual ability to make this connection at this time. Each VDC has to be treated like a physically seperate switch when it comes to interconnects. This is important to keep in mind when adding VDC's, especially when we look at doing a Core/Distribution VDC on redundant 7ks'.

Aaron D
Level 1
Level 1

Also the recommendation with vPC's is 2 links across 2 blades for redundancy since the crossconnect with vPC's is so critical.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card