Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 with VPC and HSRP Configuration

kuldeep.kaur
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I would like to know how to implement HSRP with the following setup:

There are 2 Nexus 7000 connected with VPC Peer link. Each of the Nexus 7000 has a FEX attached to it.

The server has two connections going to the FEX on each Nexus 7k (VPC). FEX's are not dual homed as far as I now they are not supported currently.

R(A)              R(S)

|                     |

7K Peer Link 7K

|                     |

FEX              FEX

Server connected to both FEX

The question is we have two routers connected to each of the Nexus 7k in HSRP (active and one is standby). How can I configure HSRP on the nexus switches and how the traffic will routed from the Standby Nexus switch to Active Nexus switch (I know HSRP works differently here as both of them can forward packets). Will the traffic go to the secondary switch and then via the peer link to the active switch and then to the active router ? (From what I read the packet from end hosts which will go via the peer link will get dropped)

Has anyone implemented this before ?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Jay Ocampo
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kuldeep,

If you intend to put those routers on a non-vpc vlan, you  may create  a new inter-switch trunk between the N7K and allow that non-vpc vlan . However if those will be on a VPC vlan, best to create two links to the N7K pair and create a VPC, otherwise configure those ports as orphan ports which will leverage the VPC peer link .

HTH

Jay Ocampo

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card