Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Nexus 7009 and N2K-C2248TP-E dual homed

Hi

We are currently depolying N7K as core and N2K as an access switches.We want to connect the N2K with both N7K .

F2 card---N7K-F248XP-25E

is it possible with N7K dual homed fex ?

If yes, which NX-OS version i have to use ? do i need to the FEX configuration on both N7K at the same time so taht my host can work ?

if not , how can i make the redundancy for N2K ? i mean , can in connect the N2K with both N7K without vPC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Nexus 7009 and N2K-C2248TP-E dual homed

Hi Puneet,

Connecting FEX to a pair of Nexus 7000 is not currently supported. The reasons are documented in the forum posts Dual Homing 2248TP-E to N7K's? and Nexus 7000 and 2000. Is FEX supported with vPC? but essentially it offers no additional resilience. From that post:

The view is that when connecting FEX to the Nexus 7000, dual-homing does not add any level of resilience to the design. A server with dual NIC can attach to two FEX  so there is no need to connect the FEX to two parent switches. A server with only a single NIC can only attach to a single FEX, but given that FEX is supported by a fully redundant Nexus 7000 i.e., SE, fabrics, power, I/O modules etc., the availability is limited by the single FEX and so dual-homing does not increase availability.

I hear from Cisco that active/active FEX support will be available for certain I/O modules in a future release, but support is not committed at this stage so you'd need to contact your Cisco account rep to get details as to what and when support will be available.

@Tabish--

Presumably this is a duplicate for the post Nexus 7009 & Fabric Extender N2K-C2248TP-1GE post in the Data Centre forum?

Regards

3 REPLIES

Hi Gupta,

Did you get any solution for above subject?

Thanks

Re: Nexus 7009 and N2K-C2248TP-E dual homed

Hi Puneet,

Connecting FEX to a pair of Nexus 7000 is not currently supported. The reasons are documented in the forum posts Dual Homing 2248TP-E to N7K's? and Nexus 7000 and 2000. Is FEX supported with vPC? but essentially it offers no additional resilience. From that post:

The view is that when connecting FEX to the Nexus 7000, dual-homing does not add any level of resilience to the design. A server with dual NIC can attach to two FEX  so there is no need to connect the FEX to two parent switches. A server with only a single NIC can only attach to a single FEX, but given that FEX is supported by a fully redundant Nexus 7000 i.e., SE, fabrics, power, I/O modules etc., the availability is limited by the single FEX and so dual-homing does not increase availability.

I hear from Cisco that active/active FEX support will be available for certain I/O modules in a future release, but support is not committed at this stage so you'd need to contact your Cisco account rep to get details as to what and when support will be available.

@Tabish--

Presumably this is a duplicate for the post Nexus 7009 & Fabric Extender N2K-C2248TP-1GE post in the Data Centre forum?

Regards

Yes Tabish

Yes got the reply now...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content