Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7009 fabric card module questions

tinhnho123
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

We currently have Nexus 7k9 with 5 fabric card modules (N7K-C7009-FAB-2)

and few 10gbps ethernet modules (N7K-M224XP-23L). My questions are:

What exactly does fabric card module do in nexus?

What are relationship between the fabric card module and 10gbps ethernet module?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

HI,

All fabric modules are connected to all module slots. The addition of each fabric module increases the bandwidth to all module slots up to the system limit of five modules. The architecture supports lossless fabric failover, with the remaining fabric modules load balancing the bandwidth to all the I/O module slots, helping ensure graceful degradation.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps9402/ps9512/data_sheet_c78-684211_ps9402_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Hope this helps.

So without fabric modules,Won't these ethernet card modules work?

Hi,

No in this case the Cisco Nexus 7000 Fabric-2 Modules for the Cisco Nexus 7000 chassis are separate fabric modules that can provide parallel fabric channels to each I/O and supervisor module slot. The ethernet modules should work without the frabic modules since they are manage by the supervisor module.

Leo Solano wrote:

Hi,

The ethernet modules should work without the frabic modules since they are manage by the supervisor module.

That's exactly what I understood.

Leo Solano wrote:

Hi,

No in this case the Cisco Nexus 7000 Fabric-2 Modules for the Cisco Nexus 7000 chassis are separate fabric modules that can provide parallel fabric channels to each I/O and supervisor module slot.

So techically, the Fabric-2 modules are just giving more bandwdith to the each I/O (in my case, it's 10gbps ethernet card module) and supervisor module slot right? And the more fabric-2 modules you have the more bandwidth you'd have for your ethernet card modules right?

I've seen the URL that you provided above before but it sounds very confuse to me since I'm new to nexus 7k. I'll look at it again later. Thanks.

Jose Solano
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

That is correct you can add up to 5 additional fabric modules to increase the bandwidth.

Regards,

Remember to rate any useful posts.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card