cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7010 6.x HSRP and object tracking of a remote interface

aacole
Level 5
Level 5

Can I use object tracking in NX-OS 6.x to verify reachability of an IP address? If the address becomes unreachable I want to decrement the HSRP priority on one of the switches, in IOS this used to be part of the object tracking feature.

Specifically the NX-OS manual describing object tracking for route reachability indicates it can `track the existence and reachability of an IP route'. How does it verify the reachability, by monitioring the entry in the local routing table or by connectivity of the IP address that originated the route?

All the other object tracking features appear to monitor parameters on the switch where the tracking is configured.

I'm also looking to see if i can do this via IP SLA, although at first reading it doesnt look as though I can.

Andy

5 Replies 5

Hi Inayath,

yes, I did, what is not clear is how the reachability element is verified.

Does the local switch simply monitor the route locally on the device where the object tracking is defined, or attempt to verify by ping or similar the source IP address that originates the route?

In IOS an object can be defined to ping a remote interface by its IP address and alter its state if the remote address becomes unreachable for any reason. I'm not sure this is how it works in NX-OS though.

Andy

Hi,

from IP SLA on Nexus link there is no icmp echo feature in NX-OS, concerning the route reachability it must be from a local standpoint, that is is the route installed  or not on the device doing the tracking( again from first link it seems it is the only tracked object available).

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks for the replies, I thought it was unlikely.

Andy

Note- NX/OS 6.2 added support for reliable static routing backup using object tracking. You can now have a static route track IP SLA reachability.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card